By Leong Sze Lee,Poh Seng Chen
Chen Poh Seng's nice grandfather lived in Pulau Tekong, his 50-over cousins have been born and proficient there. He lived in Changi aspect that is half-hour away by means of ferry.
Lee Leong Sze is a Malaysian, graduated from the dep. of historical past, nationwide Chong Hsing collage, Taiwan, got PhD in Singapore. researchers met in August 2005. They shared an analogous curiosity in learning the background of Pulau Tekong. in the course of the learn, that they had complete aid and encouragement from former residents.
The booklet describes how Pulau Tekong Island built in the course of the early twentieth century. It describes the place the ethnic teams got here from, how they settled down, labored and lived jointly, and the connection between diversified ethnic teams, just like the Malay and chinese language (including Hakka and Chouchouese) through the years. ultimately, the ebook unearths out how and why the villages vanished. the ultimate bankruptcy outlines the phenomenal electorate from Pulau Tekong and reports how they merged with the most movement of Singapore society after leaving the offshore island.
- From Desolation to Prosperity:
- Development of Villages
- Life in Villages
- Composition and courting of Ethnic Groups:
- Ethnic constitution on Tekong Island
- Relationship among chinese language and Malays
- Ethnic dating inside Chinese
- The effect of global warfare II:
- Influence of global battle II on Tekong Island
- Tekong Island lower than British govt and Self-Governance
- The Sixties: A interval of Change
- The improvement of Tekong Island:
- Tekong Island below Singapore's Development
- The Disappearance of Villages on Tekong Island
- The Achievements of Former citizens of Tekong Island
Readership: pupil, expert, common public.
Read Online or Download A Retrospect on the Dust-Laden History:The Past and Present of Tekong Island in Singapore PDF
Best asian history books
The increase of China offers a long term problem to the realm not just economically, yet politically and culturally. Callahan meets this problem in China: The Pessoptimist country through the use of new chinese language assets and cutting edge research to work out how chinese language humans comprehend their new position on the earth.
This heritage of eastern mass tradition in the course of the a long time previous Pearl Harbor argues that the recent gestures, courting, and humor of ero-guro-nansensu (erotic ugly nonsense) expressed a self-consciously glossy ethos that challenged kingdom ideology and expansionism. Miriam Silverberg makes use of resources comparable to motion picture magazines, ethnographies of the homeless, and the main well-known images from this period to trap the spirit, textures, and language of a time while the media reached all periods, connecting the agricultural social order to city mores.
While Joann stumbled on a 150-year-old American bell putting in a church in southwest China she knew there has been a narrative to inform. Who had determined to send it? How had it been transported? How had it survived the political turmoil of the 1950’s and 1960’s? She additionally knew that if there has been one bell there has to be others.
In response to Arnold J. Toynbee, ‘India is a global in itself; it's a society of an identical immensity and significance as is our Western society’. In international point of view, the immensity, range, and precise value of Indian society and tradition can not often be underestimated. This reference quantity, first released in 1975, encompasses reviews that replicate either the cohesion and variety of India’s tradition and social method.
- Doctors of Empire: Medical and Cultural Encounters between Imperial Germany and Meiji Japan (German and European Studies)
- India in the Contemporary World: Polity, Economy and International Relations
- Central Asia: A Chessboard and Player in the New Great Game (Kegan Paul Library of Central Asia)
- "The Commentaries of the Great Afonso Dalboquerque, Second Viceroy of India, Volumes I-IV ... ": 1-4 (Hakluyt Society, First Series)
Extra info for A Retrospect on the Dust-Laden History:The Past and Present of Tekong Island in Singapore
A Retrospect on the Dust-Laden History:The Past and Present of Tekong Island in Singapore by Leong Sze Lee,Poh Seng Chen